Monday, February 28, 2011

P31-Proverbs Chapter 2

As you can tell by the gap between my post on Proverbs chapter one and this one, I still have a long way to go in improving my discipline of spending time in the word daily and journaling my thoughts. In my defense, I do have a couple other bible readings and small group studies going on. But in either case, I am going to continue to get better with my disciple.

So on to Proverbs chapter two. I think I have a couple thoughts here. First, on a secular level, I am a huge proponent of this message. I whole heartedly believe that we each have a responsibility to continually educate ourselves both on the world around us and in our general knowledge and that to do so empowers us to make wise, responsible decisions as we interact with the rest of humanity. I believe this to be an aspect of what is being prescribed here. I find the primary intention of this chapter is that we build our knowledge in the word and the ways of Christ so that we can conduct ourselves as closely to Gods's will for us as possible. I think the other key point, is that if we focus and strive to live up to that, we will have the wisdom to identify and avoid those people, situations and circumstances that would tempt us to leave the path which God has laid out for us.
Now earlier I said that I felt secular knowledge and wisdom were an aspect of the central theme of this chapter. I will leave that statement to stand as is with the following disclaimer. The leading force needs to be biblical knowledge so that we have the tools and the information to reconcile the two together to ensure that we do not become wise in those ways of the world that would lead us away from the will of Christ. Furthermore, we have to be humble and use humility in our use of knowledge and understand that it is a gift from God. We are not the source of intellect and it's purpose is not to fill our own ego or to give us an inflated sense of our own worth.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment